How to Cook Venison Backstrap - Easy & Delicious!
Backstrap is our favorite cut of meat from a deer and this recipe from Jason Cleveland is about as easy as it gets!
- Venison Backstrap
- Soy Sauce
- Brown Sugar
For this recipe, you will need a Sous Vide and a grill/some way to get a good sear on the backstrap. A Sous Vide, along with a vacuum sealer, is a kitchen tool that we recommend all outdoorsmen have in their kitchen appliance arsenal. It is the easiest and most consistent way to cook wild game in a way that will not overcook the meat that you've worked so hard to harvest. There are plenty of options, but here are a few we recommend:
- Overall Best - Anova Culinary Sous Vide Precision Cooker - LINK TO AMAZON
- Budget Friendly Option - Instant Pot Accu Slim Sous Vide - LINK TO AMAZON
1. Prep your venison backstrap by trimming off the silver skin and any connective tissue you do not want to remain on the meat. Leaving these on the backstrap can cause it to taste "gamey".
2. Prep your marinade/glaze by mixing equal parts butter, brown sugar, and soy sauce in a small pot over low heat. This will be used to marinade the meat during the sous vide and as a glaze while searing the meat.
3. Prep the water and sous vide, target a temperature of 120-125 degrees.
4. Place the prepped backstrap in a plastic bag with the marinade, just enough to coat all the meat, vacuum seal if you want to but it is unnecessary.
5. Place the bag in the water and let it cook for 1± hour, if it is not vacuum sealed, use a chip clip to keep the top of the bag out of the water.
6. After 1± hour, remove the bag from the sous vide and place the backstrap in the fridge for a few minutes to bring the temperature down before searing. 20 minutes should bring the temperature down enough.
7. Prep your grill with high heat for the sear. Remove the backstraps from the cooking bags, douse them in the marinade, and place them on the grill.
8. Keep turning and adding glaze to the backstrap until you achieve a good sear and internal temperature of 125± degrees.
9. Remove from the grill, slice, plate, serve, and enjoy!
FREE DOWNLOAD OF THE RECIPE CARD
Download Here - Venison Backstrap RECIPE CARD